Recommendations of the Fall 2020 Scenarios Advisory Team:
Framework for Delivering Academic Mission in Fall 2020 (Board of Regents Mission Fulfillment Committee docket June 2020)
About the Fall 2020 Scenarios Advisory Team: The Fall 2020 Scenarios Advisory Team was convened to develop a framework of recommendations for delivery of academic mission in fall 2020 in the context of COVID-19, across a continuum of potential scenarios that span in-person and distanced strategies and potential hybrid scenarios. The team brought together public health experts, academic leaders, and operational representatives from across the system invited by President Gabel and led by Executive Vice President and Provost Rachel Croson.
The work was informed by public health data and guidance as well as a scan of decisions being considered and made by peer institutions. Collectively, the group explored scenarios in five key spheres of UMN academic life: classrooms/study spaces/libraries; labs and studios; housing and dining; recreation centers/student unions/events/student groups; and outreach/engagement. Possible scenarios for this fall range from almost all in-person to almost all-distanced, with a number of hybrid scenarios in between. All scenarios incorporate accommodations for vulnerable populations, and contingency plans for potential outbreaks throughout the fall.
The work of the team was informed by consultation with governance groups, leading to the development of a rough draft used to solicit feedback from a broader set of constituents before presentation of a set of recommendations to President Gabel in early June.
- Rachel T.A. Croson, Executive Vice President and Provost, Advisory Team Leader
- Michael Berthelsen, Vice President for University Services
- Lendley Black, Chancellor, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Katharine Bonneson, Assistant Vice President, University Health and Safety
- Phil Buhlmann, 3M/Alumni Professor, Distinguished University Teaching Professor, and Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Chemistry; Vice Chair of Faculty Consultative Committee
- Lori Carrell, Chancellor, University of Minnesota Rochester
- Connie Delaney, Dean, School of Nursing, and Chair, Twin Cities Deans Council
- Fernando Delgado, Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Lisa Erwin, Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Michael Goh, Vice President for Equity & Diversity; Professor of Organizational Leadership, Policy, & Development
- John Hoffman, Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs, University of Minnesota Crookston
- Laurie McLaughlin, Interim Associate Vice President, Auxiliary Services
- Amy Pittenger, Associate Professor and Head, Pharmaceutical Care & Health-Systems; Chair, Faculty Consultative Committee
- Janet Schrunk Ericksen, Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean; Associate Professor of English; University of Minnesota Morris
- Maggie Towle, Interim Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Susan Van Voorhis, Associate Vice President, Academic Support Resources
- Jill DeBoer, Director of UMN Health Emergency Response Office; Deputy Director, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP)
- Cynthia Kenyon, Senior Epidemiologist, Minnesota Department of Health (MDH liaison)
Senior Staff: Paige Rohman, Chief of Staff, University Services; Deborah Cran, Senior Assistant to the Executive Vice President and Provost; Kate Tyler, Assistant to the Executive Vice President and Provost