The University's Liberal Education requirements have been in place for twenty years, with some revisions made to them in 2007-2008. While these requirements have served students and the University very well, regular reassessment is healthy. With implementation of the campus strategic plan underway, and a reaccreditation review recently completed successfully, the campus is taking this opportune time to revisit liberal education at the University of Minnesota.
A preplanning group has been charged to look at current requirements and consider the issues that might be relevant to a possible revision. This preplanning group will not be redesigning requirements, or even making proposals for revised requirements. They will instead be asked to review the current status of liberal education on this campus and make recommendations on a process for further consideration of relevant issues.
Pre-Planning Open Forums
The pre-planning group is holding several pre-planning open forums to gather views on liberal education from the faculty, instructional staff, and advisors. Upcoming dates are:
Thursday, February 23, 2017
9:30 - 11:00 a.m.
Saint Paul Student Center
North Star Ballroom
Monday, March 6, 2017
4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Coffman Memorial Union
Pre-Planning Group Members and Charge
The pre-planning group includes the following individuals:
- William Durfee, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Raymond Duvall, Department of Political Science
- Sarah Hobbie, Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
- Gayle Golden, School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Peter Hudleston, Department of Earth Sciences
- Sally Kohlstedt, Program in the History of Science and Technology
- Kenneth Leopold, Department of Chemistry; Chair of Council on Liberal Education
- Keith Mayes, Department of African American & African Studies
- Peter Mercer-Taylor, School of Music
- Richa Nagar, Department of Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies
- Susan Wick, Departments of Plant & Microbial Biology and Biology Teaching & Learning; Chair, Senate Committee on Educational Policy
- Rebecca Ropers-Huilman, Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, ex officio
- Robert McMaster, Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education, ex officio
- Leslie Schiff, Associate Dean for the University Curriculum, ex officio
The tasks of the pre-planning group include:
- Reviewing the current status of liberal education on the Twin Cities Campus-- What is our history of liberal education? Who is teaching our liberal education courses? Do our students see and gain the value in the existing requirements?
- Understanding who is affected by or has an interest in our liberal education program-- e.g. Minnesota State (formerly MNSCU), employers, graduate and professional schools-- and the implications of those interests.
- Briefly reviewing national trends in general or liberal education, and considering what selected other universities are doing. (This review could serve as background for a later stage redesign committee, if such there be.)
The group may also:
- Recommend to the provost, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and SCEP a process and timeline for consideration of new requirements.
- Recommend to the provost, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and SCEP the composition and members of a possible Liberal Education redesign committee.
- Recommend to the provost, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and SCEP a charge for a redesign committee.