As you may know, for the past year the University of Minnesota system has been involved in an evaluation of its centrally-supported learning management system (LMS), Moodle. While Moodle has been an effective learning platform for many years, advances in higher education technology and the LMS market, as well as our collaboration with peer universities in the Unizin consortium, have prompted an examination of how best to prepare for the future.
As the end of the evaluation period nears, the faculty of the University Learning Technology Advisors (ULTA) have been reviewing information needed to provide a recommendation on a decision between Moodle and Canvas/Unizin. Their recommendation, in addition to input from other faculty members and college leadership, will provide important guidance for the final decision. It's important that you and the University community be informed about the issues surrounding the decision.
To review the background and data guiding this decision, please visit the ULTA reports page.
LMS Open Forums - Includes brief remarks by Bernard Gulachek and me about the LMS evaluation followed by a listening session dedicated to your questions and comments.
- Monday, March 27, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Minneapolis Campus, Coffman Theater and online
- Thursday, March 30, 10:00-11:00 a.m., St. Paul Campus, Student Center Theatre and online
LMS Vendor Demos - Representatives from each LMS under review will be on hand to demonstrate their systems and answer attendee questions.
- Monday, March 20, 1:00-3:00 p.m., Canvas Demo, Minneapolis Campus, Hubert Humphrey School of Public Affairs 50B and online
- Monday March 20, 1:00-3:00 p.m., Canvas Demo, St. Paul Campus, McNeal Hall 33 and online
- Tuesday, March 21, 1:00-3:00 p.m., MoodleRooms Demo, St. Paul Campus, Student Center Theater and online
- Wednesday, March 22, 12:30-2:30 p.m., MoodleRooms Demo, Minneapolis Campus, Walter Library 402 and online
LMS System Campus Open Forums - Additional local faculty forums are scheduled to be held at some system campuses (forums at other system campuses are currently being scheduled).
- UM-Crookston: Friday, March 10, 8:30-10:15 a.m. and 12:30-2:00 p.m., Prairie Lounge, Student Center
- UM-Morris: Friday, March 31, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m., HFA 45
Thank you in advance for your engagement with this issue.
Executive Vice President and Provost
Interim Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Email sent March 9, 2017 to all faculty and instructors system-wide.