The Academic Calendar Task Force was charged in fall semester 2021 to assess the current process for setting the academic calendar and to recommend a framework for setting future academic calendars that:
- are compliant with external requirements such as federal financial aid regulations and accreditation criteria; and
- enhance inclusion and belonging as highlighted in MPact 2025, our Systemwide Strategic Plan.
Because calendars are proposed at least four years in advance, the academic calendars have been set through 2023–24. By policy, requests for changes to calendars must be submitted to the Senate Committee on Educational Policy at least two years in advance. Therefore, the Task Force will provide the Provost with its recommendations by spring semester 2022, focusing on the calendar to be set for academic year 2024–25 (and with the possibility of minor edits to the 2022–23 and 2023–24 calendars). If the committee proposes a holiday or break in classes for Juneteenth in 2022, this recommendation should be made no later than February 2022 in order to make the necessary adjustments for summer classes.
As noted in a September 20, 2021 memo from President Gabel, the Task Force will specifically consider the overlap between important University dates and religious/cultural observances like Rosh Hashanah, Ramadan, Juneteenth, and other significant holidays. They may also consider prior requests for the addition of a fall break and Election Day.
In addition, the Task Force will coordinate with system colleagues to review the feasibility of coordinating the academic calendars across all five campuses and with the Office of Human Resources to understand the impact of academic calendar changes on employee holidays.
Task Force Members
- Chair: Stacey Tidball, Associate Vice Provost for Academic Support Resources
- Amber Bathke, Senate Associate
- Tom Chase, chair, Senate Committee on Educational Policy
- Norm Clark, Administrative Director of Academic Programs, Rochester campus
- Bri Keeney, Assistant to the President
- Anthony Kern, Crookston campus
- Heather Kidd, Payroll Services Director
- Peh Ng, Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Morris campus
- Natan Paradise, Associate Director and Director of Undergraduate Studies, Center for Jewish Studies
- Susana Pelayo-Woodward, Assistant to the Chancellor for Inclusive Excellence, Duluth campus
- Lucas Simpson, Student Senate Consultative Committee and Senate Committee on Educational Policy
- Virajita Singh, Associate Vice Provost, Office for Equity and Diversity
- Marlo Welshons, Assistant to the Provost